Saturday, September 20, 2008

Unity, Tolerance and all the sort...Is it real? Is it a myth?

Malaysia is multiracial country.

Malaysia is the melting pot of different cultures.

Malaysia's diversity is its greatest strengths.

Malaysia Truly Asia. (can't help it)

ARE ALL THE ABOVE TRUE???

...............

I'm going to tell you all several stories. It is based on personal experience.

--

One morning, my friends and I took an early LRT ride to KLCC. At first, it was empty, but as we went from station to station, people began to board.

I noticed something odd.

Malays sat on one side of the LRT. Chinese sat on the other side and so did the Indians but they were separated from the Chinese by two seats.

I thought to myself: "What the hell is going on??"

--

My friends and I went to a basketball court one evening. There were a lot of people playing, mainly Chinese.

Excuse me, they were all Chinese.

I asked them if we could play with them.

They pretended I wasn't even there.

--

I was in a school cafeteria (did I spell that right?).

I was eating my meal with my friends (Chinese, Malays and Indians). I looked around.

This is what I saw:

1. Malays were sitting in one part of the cafeteria.

2. Chinese sat away in another.

3. Indians sat at another.

There were few tables, including my own, where there were different races sitting together.

--

I surfed around online and surfed Youtube, blogs and forums and such.

I saw hatred everywhere.

I read about Chinese calling Malays lazy pigs. I read about Malays calling Chinese dirty and so on. I see videos where people insulted another ethnic group.

You get the picture.

--

So what do the stories above tell you?

Are we truly united?

Do we truly tolerate each other?

Personally, I don't think so. We are so caught up with the "my people, your people" idea, that we fail to see ourselves as ONE ENTIRE PEOPLE.

We live on the same land, we breathe the same air and above all, we all share the name "Malaysians".

I will not point fingers at whose fault this is...but....

THERACIALPOLITICSTHATOURPOLITICIANSKEEPPLAYINGISTHEMAINCAUSE....

its just one of the few though....

its time that we stop seeing MALAY, INDIAN, CHINESE, SIKH and so on..

its time to see only one race, one people.....

MALAYSIANS.

We see in the news stating that Malaysians are united and so on....

Bullshit.

We still have a long way to go.

If our mindset doesn't change, if we do not tolerate and respect each others differences, Unity is just a myth.

Stop demolishing the temples of the Indians.

Stop blaming everything on the Chinese people's economical success.

Stop attacking the bumiputras' rights.

Stop making fun of the Malays' religion, Islam.

Stop forcing the Sikh students to cut their hair.

STOP BEING NARROW MINDED.....

......

I was bored...so I wrote this....

-The Stag-

2 comments:

Zhao Wern said...

it all falls back to the individual.
when i was in high school, my class was superb, there were no racial issues at all.but in the other class, YES! it all depends on what that particular individual thinks!

i have to agree that malaysian are not yet malaysians. we regards ourself as malays chinese and indians. not malaysians.

Unknown said...

it's true. i was once in your position. well, maybe not jst once. It's true that we are not Malaysians per se yet, nope, na ah..